[U-Boot-Users] [RFC] Implementing Boot Image Fallback on U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 24 15:23:03 CEST 2008

In message <48108027.7020605 at miraclelinux.com> you wrote:

> I've read it but I'm afraid it's bit different from Boot Image Fallback.
>
> Boot Image Fallback decides image to boot according to a order of images to
> boot and depending on previous boot has succeeded or not. So, this kind of
> mechanism is still needed.

Are you aware that U-Boot has scripting capabilities, to the extend of
being able to run shell scripts?

What you are asking for can be pretty easily implemented using a few
macro definitions utilizing the aforementioned features.

If you think something is missing, please point out which specific
feature you think is missing.

Please make sure to read the previous postings and the available
documentation on this topic.

> Also, on Boot Image Fallback, "default" changes dynamically but "default
> booting configuration" is embedded in ".its" and it's static.

You can define boot commands, and change these definitions with each
boot you perform.

Don't look for a turn-key solution, instead look for building blocks
which you can easily put together.

> Anyway thank you. By the way, is it able to define "bootargs" for each image
> entry on ".its"?

The "bootargs" variable normally gets built dynamically, and of cource
you can change the settings each time you build it.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The one charm of marriage is that it makes a  life  of  deception  a
neccessity."                                            - Oscar Wilde