[U-Boot-Users] pci memory booting on ppc460

Ayman El-Khashab ayman at elkhashab.com
Fri Apr 25 14:41:02 CEST 2008

Stefan Roese wrote:
> On Thursday 24 April 2008, Ayman M. El-Khashab wrote:
>
>> So maybe I need to clarify some more.  The PPC460 data sheet
>> is not too clear on this yet.  However, here are my thoughts
>> on this.  Lets just take the simple case as an example.  We
>> have a plurality of 460s where a single one is the master.
>> Between the master and all the slaves is a PCI bridge.  The
>> slaves are hardwired to boot from pci bus memory -- according
>> to the datasheet that is at a fixed address.  So there does
>> not appear to be any need to do anything to the slave upon
>> power up.  Now the master boots and then allocates a chunk
>> of contiguous memory using a kernel driver or whatever is
>> needed.  The image is just whatever the flash image would
>> normally contain (uboot + kernel + rootfs).  The address of
>> that chunk is then given to the pci bridge so that it can
>> perform inbound translation from the address that the PPC
>> slaves will use to the address where the image is physically
>> located.  Then the slaves are taken out of reset and begin
>> reading "flash" across the pci bus which really goes through
>> the bridge and is mapped to the DRAM on the master (or I
>> guess it could be the flash on the master, but DRAM seemed
>> easier since it is already running).
>>
>> Ok, so how many holes does this approach have?
>>

> Sounds quite reasonable. The only thing I'm unsure here is the size of the PCI
> windows that is mapped upon PCI booting.

Thanks for all your help ...

I thought the answer to both questions was in footnote 3 on page 8 of
the data sheet.  At least that was
my interpretation of the following statement:  "3. When the optional
boot from PCI Memory is selected, the
PCI Boot ROM address space begins at 0000 000C FF00 0000 (16 MB)."

I interpreted that to mean the address was not something that needed to
be configured in any sort of
bar register and that the address it fetched was fixed.  So the only
thing that was required was to
configure the inbound translation on the bridge.

- ame