[U-Boot-Users] cfi_flash.c and lost volatile qualifier

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Wed Apr 30 17:34:56 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 10:21 -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 05:11:09PM +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > Yet the in_bex()/out_bex() functions in PowerPC linux uses sync and all
> > SOC drivers are encouraged to use them. What a waste :(
>
> sync is needed in some of the cases, to sync I/O accesses with DMA buffer
> accesses.  Ideally, we could trust the driver writers to put
> synchronization in where needed, but it seems Linux has too much x86
> heritage for that.

Perhaps, is sync needed in this case for non-smp too? or is eieio
enough?
Anyway, just have a look at ucc_geth and you will see that
most such accesses are just about getting the endian right.

> There should at least be raw alternatives, though...

There need be a get-the-endian-right-but-no-sync. After all
2.4 managed well without using the in/out be() functions.

 Jocke