[U-Boot-Users] Marvell db64460 / mpc7447 migration from U-boot 1.1.2 to U-boot 1.3.3

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 14:57:05 CEST 2008

Stephen Horton wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> In a current work project, I have inherited a compactPCI board that has
> an mpc7447/7448 powerpc processor as well as a Marvell system
> controller, model mv64462 (stripped down mv64460). The board has a
> somewhat working U-boot 1.1.2 loader (using db64460 platform) and a
> Gentoo Linux port (kernel version 2.6.9 built using arch/ppc) running on
> it from long ago and a company far far away. It looks like the company
> contracted with Timesys to pull together the initial software. To
> prepare for an upcoming deployment, I would like to bring the OS
> up-to-date on this board with a newer kernel (targeting 2.6.24r3), as
> well as migrate U-boot to 1.3.3 and fix some bugs along the way.
>
> My Linux kernel work is going very well, but with U-boot I’m stuck. I
> have what I believe ‘may’ be the working U-boot 1.1.2 source code, and I
> have migrated all of the board’s customizations from various files into
> the 1.3.3 stream; however, I can get –no- console output on the serial
> port. I don’t have access to a remote debugger, so I’m working in the
> dark and have no idea how far, if at all, the initialization is
> progressing. Does anyone know of any tips to help me along?  Any changes
> in mpsc device initialization from 1.1.2 to 1.3.3 that could help me?
> Any clues?
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephen

Suggestion: first make sure your 1.1.2 source is working (fix as
necessary) before trying to pull it forward.

How are you reloading flash when you brick the board?  What capabilities
does your hardware have for debugging - can it halt the processor and
show the registers?

Are there any LEDs you can blink when you get to a certain place in the
code, and then move the blinkin' successfully further in the init
sequence?  Can you hook a logic analyzer or scope to a bus and do a bus
write to indicate progress?

Is is a memory size / organization issue?  Despite Wolfgang's best
efforts, u-boot keeps growing.  :-/  If you are lucky, the problem is
simply that a memory section outgrew its allocation.

Good luck,
gvb