[U-Boot-Users] Design Recommendation and Help with Issues

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 6 18:15:57 CEST 2008

In message <587a08410808060856v4b7a1b25u69ea80ff1b867c6d at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Theory: Link the switch driver software with the u-boot.bin and flash
> it on the board. Switch driver's entry point would be called somewhere
> in u-boot to initialize it. Size of the u-boot.bin will increase and
> the u-boot partition on the NOR flash will need to be updated to
> accommodate the new binary size.

You have the source code of the switch driver software? And it comes
with a GPL compatible license?

> Questions:
> 1.) Which design is recommended, first or the second? Second is easier
> for me to implement as I don't have to change the partition sizes but
> could easily be overlooking some obvious problems.

I would conside the switch driver code to be  driver  code  like  any
othr,  i.  e.  it  should  go into the drivers/ directory and then be
linked with U-Boot like any other U-Boot code.

> 2.) If the first design is recommended, I would need to resolve the
> u-boot-not-booting issue when the binary is compiled with switch
> driver. Any suggestions where to look?

Don't play any tricks with modifying the linker command line. Just add
your driver code like any other driver to the source tree and let the
exsiting Makefiles do the rest.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The day-to-day travails of the IBM programmer are so amusing to  most
of us who are fortunate enough never to have been one - like watching
Charlie Chaplin trying to cook a shoe.