[U-Boot-Users] bootm as a script -- requires HUSH?

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Thu Aug 7 20:41:59 CEST 2008

Kumar Gala wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Jerry Van Baren wrote:
>
>> Kumar Gala wrote:
>>> if I understand Wolfgang and Jerry they'd like to recode the control
>>> flow of the bootm command in the scripting env u-boot provides.
>>> This seems to imply that we'd require HUSH as the simple parser
>>> doesn't seem to provide any control statements like (if..then..else).
>>> is this correct?
>>> - k
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Than I think the ideas you guys have aren't beneficial to anyone.  What
> benefit to we gain by doing this?  Its going to be slower and larger.
>
> - k

...for some subset of "anyone."

A lot of people resisted moving to the linux 2.6 kernel because it is
slower and larger than the 2.4 kernel.  A lot of embedded devices (and
probably some servers and desktops) are still running 2.4 kernels.  I
would not conclude that 2.6 isn't beneficial to anyone.

Maybe the destination turns into a failure, but half the fun is planning
the trip.

gvb