[U-Boot-Users] bootm as a script -- requires HUSH?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 7 21:34:52 CEST 2008

In message <BBDD524A-F763-49E1-B459-0EB5AA242A32 at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:

> Than I think the ideas you guys have aren't beneficial to anyone.
> What benefit to we gain by doing this?  Its going to be slower and
> larger.

Note:	I don't see why it would absolutley be necessary to use hush.
        My idea is to end up on each target with  a  board  specific,
        but otherwise simple sequence of calls

We gain much clearer code the function of which can be understood by
mere mortals. At least that's the main goal.

Yes, it is going to be slower. But how much? 2 milliseconds? or 5?
Or 25? Do you really think it will matter?

And I'm not sure that the code will be significantly larger. We might
be able to clean up a thing here and there on the way, there are some
areas where code duplication exists.

In any case, I expoect the total numbers of lines of code in U-Boot to
go down by quite an amount - for example, if we manage to get rid of
all the code duplication we have now across architectures.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If you can't beat it or corrupt it, you pretend it was your  idea  in
the first place.                 - Terry Pratchett, _Guards! Guards!_