[U-Boot] Subject line tag differences "U-Boot-Users vs. U-Boot" between the two U-Boot mailing list servers

Ken.Fuchs at bench.com Ken.Fuchs at bench.com
Fri Aug 8 17:20:50 CEST 2008

Subject line tags in the transition to the new mailing list server:

u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net generates [U-Boot-Users].
u-boot at lists.denx.de generates a [U-Boot].

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> after the automatic notice you should have received telling you that
> you have been subscribed to the new U-Boot mailing list, I would like
> to welcome you here, too.
>
> From now on, the old mailing list at SourceForge should be considered
> obsolete. Please post new messages only to the new mailing list
> address:

Messages with just [U-Boot-Users] in the subject line implies it
was handled by u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net.  If this is
the case, let the SF server handle the thread to completion!
This is an implication of the sentence "Please post new messages
only to the new mailing list address".

Messages with both [U-Boot-Users] and [U-Boot] in the subject line
implies it was handled by both by u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net
and later handled by u-boot at lists.denx.de.  Such messages should have
stayed on the u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net to completion.
Should they be switched back to the u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net
server or would that mess up the archiving of messages even more?
I'm assuming that it is desirable to have complete threads on either
of the two mailing list servers and not split threads between them.

Never send messages to both servers simultaneously.  Everyone on the
mailing list may get duplicate messages as a result.

Messages with only [U-Boot] in the subject line implies that
the thread started on the u-boot at lists.denx.de server.  The
thread will stay on this server unless someone manually switches
it to the old server or their mail client is severely
misconfigured.  Never switch a thread that started on the new
server back to the old server.  I have _not_ noticed this yet.

Please correct me, if I've misunderstood the transition plan for
switching to the new u-boot at lists.denx.de mailing list server.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs