[U-Boot] ARM: net.c: UDP Checksum code failing every packet

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 06:27:26 CEST 2008

Tom Evans wrote:
> Ben Warren wrote:
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Tom Evans wrote:
>>> I'm afraid I can't generate a patch to do this. Could someone else
>>> please incorporate this change if required?
>>>

>> Everything seems logical until this point.  Why can't you create a
>> patch?
>
> Because I'm NOT working from a copy of the "official git archive".
>
> We've bought a package (u-boot, linux kernel and root filesystem) for
> a CPU and board that isn't currently supported in u-boot. Our
> suppliers aren't taking the time and effort required to feed the
> changes back into the u-boot master copies, so I'm working from a
> "non-branch" that is somewhat elderly.
>
> I've only just worked out how to fetch the current "master" using git,
> just to see that this bug is still current.
>
> Besides which, I've never made a patch before, and couldn't find any
> instructions on how to do so.

There is good documentation out there, just not where you looked.
People are always glad to help in this area anyway.  There are a small
number of steps:
1. $ git clone <repo>  You've done this already
2. <edit/test>
3. $ git commit -a -s (this assumes git knows your name and e-mail.
That's easy to set up - the easiest is by editing the config file in the
.git directory of your repository)
4. $ git format-patch origin
5. $ git send-email (preferred) or paste in e-mail

You may find this helpful.  I have:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html

> Besides which, I'm not meant to be doing this (working on u-boot or
> sending bug reports back) at all.

Well, but you are anyway, and we're thankful for that.  I'm sure it's
pointless, but you have a pretty good defense that your employer is
getting a lot of sophisticated software for free, and all that's asked
for in return are the legalities of the GPL and the softer concept of
helping out when and if you can.
> It is only six lines of code in one file.

True, but you found the bug and made the fix.  There's no way I'm going
to post this patch without having the hardware to test it on.  Others
may, but it's better if you do it.

regards,
Ben