[U-Boot] [new uImage] Cleanup cmd_bootm.c

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Aug 19 17:33:27 CEST 2008

On Aug 19, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Marian,
>
> in commit 1ee1180b you added code to common/cmd_bootm.c which uses the
> env_get_char() function. By then, this went through unnoticed.
>
> I'm sorry, but env_get_char() is a function that is internal  to  the
> environment  handling  code.  It  is  not  supposed to be exported to
> arbitrary  code.  Please  do  not  make  any  assumptions  about  the
> internals of how the environment is stored.
>
> Could you please provide a cleanup patch?

This wasn't Marian's doing.  The ARTOS support was added back in 2003
(commit 7f70e853):

     * Patch by Pantelis Antoniou, 21 Apr 2003:
       add boot support for ARTOS (a proprietary OS)

How does one access the environment?  The only API we seem to have
getenv, getenv_r, setenv and envmatch().  I'd argue that envmatch
should be removed from common.h as it exposes the internals of how the
env it stored.

There aren't any APIs to walk over all environment variables or to get
a list of all of them.

- k