[U-Boot] network bootp/tftp hang with tsec on MPC8343

Andre Schwarz andre.schwarz at matrix-vision.de
Wed Aug 27 17:57:03 CEST 2008

JerryVanBaren schrieb:
> Andre Schwarz wrote:
>> Huh - problem solved. It's been a memory setup issue :-(
>>
>> But I still wonder why the error is forced, i.e. happens more often,
>> when using network on u-boot.
>
> If it is a SDRAM (DDR/DDR2) configuration issue, it likely is the DMA
> happening from network activity that is aggravating your
> misconfiguration.  See especially the state machine part of
>   <http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/SDRAM>
>
> Using DMA makes addresses and sequences and timings jump around that
> simple program execution (especially if you have cache(s) disabled)
> doesn't do.
>
> [snip]
>
>> regards,
>> Andre
>
> Best regards,
> gvb

of course you're right.
But I'd expect the kernel gianfar driver doing at least as much DMA as
the u-boot driver ...  ;-)

After all it's definitely been a memory issue without doubt and all
boards are running very stable now.

Thanks,
Andre

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstraße 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler  - Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 271090
Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner