[U-Boot-Users] How much does U-Boot Replace PMON? Anyone w/ opinions? (from embedded newbie)

Sean Parker supinlick at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 20:31:18 CET 2008

Hello -

  We're using PMC's MSP8510 MIPS processor. Included in the
BSP was Linux 2.6.18 and PMON2000. We have all running,
except the boot from CF. I'm a bit familiar with GRUB/LILO,
and I'm looking for a direct replacement, and we thought
we'd be able to use either until we saw GRUB was not ported
to MIPS.

  However it looks lile U-Boot accomplishes both
(PMON+GRUB-like functionality) since I see some indication
U-Boot handles VFAT? (how about ATA CF?) (If U-Boot can
read a VFAT CF, and load the linux image from there, then
that negates the need for any subsequent boot loader like
GRUB/LILO - right?)

  Any recommendations out there? (such as "trash PMON and
go with U-BOOT - it does all you want" or "look here xxx to
find what you want")

  Any help appreciated - thanks

  Sean Parker (PS please REPLY to ALL so my CC gets in
there)

God Bless
    Sean Parker