[U-Boot-Users] How much does U-Boot Replace PMON? Anyone w/ opinions? (from embedded newbie)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Feb 10 20:48:55 CET 2008

In message <850473.22223.qm at web51909.mail.re2.yahoo.com> you wrote:

>   However it looks lile U-Boot accomplishes both
> (PMON+GRUB-like functionality) since I see some indication
> U-Boot handles VFAT? (how about ATA CF?) (If U-Boot can

U-Boot can handle FAT/VFAT, ext2, cramfs, reiserfs, JFFS2, ...

ATA/IDE devices are supported, including CF.

> read a VFAT CF, and load the linux image from there, then
> that negates the need for any subsequent boot loader like
> GRUB/LILO - right?)

Right. Only U-Boot is needed.

>   Any recommendations out there? (such as "trash PMON and
> go with U-BOOT - it does all you want" or "look here xxx to
> find what you want")

You will have to port U-Boot to your hardware, but then it will match
all your requirements.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"A dirty mind is a joy forever."                       - Randy Kunkee