[U-Boot-Users] Initially loading uboot into flash on MPC5200

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 15:38:04 CET 2008

On 2/11/08, w.wegner at astro-kom.de <w.wegner at astro-kom.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11 Feb 2008 at 11:29, Andreas Schweigstill wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > Wolfgang Denk schrieb:
> > > Don't try tricks; go and buy a BDI3000. In the long run, it will trun
> > > out to be the cheapest solution.
> >
> > I just heard from a customer that he bought a BDI2000 clone which is
> > manufactured by an Austrian company and costs a fraction of the original
> > one from Abatron. I don't know if this clone has restricted features and
> > if there is also a BDI3000 clone available.
>
> maybe you are refering to "PEEDI" made by Ronetix?

PEEDI doesn't support MPC5200 according to the web site.

In case anyone is wondering, with a tiny amount of logic you can make
the PCI socket into a local bus socket when the board first boots.
Then put a flash chip onto a PCI form factor card that you programmed
elsewhere. The MPC5200 will run the program from the PCI/local bus
flash card which will get you bootstrapped.

Macraigor USB wiggler supports MPC5200 for $250. But they want another
$500 for the flash programming software.

The BSDL file for the MPC5200 is on the Freescale site. If we have
time we may play with OpenOCD/cheap JTAG and see if we can convince it
to program our flash chip. If we can get that to work it will give us
a $50 solution for a hobbyist to unbrick their device at home.