[U-Boot-Users] Pull request u-boot-blackfin.git

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sun Feb 24 00:17:34 CET 2008

On Saturday 23 February 2008, Haavard Skinnemoen wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:29:03 -0500
>
> Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> wrote:
> > i understand where you're coming from, and i intend to follow the rules
> > ... after Blackfin in mainline is actually usable.  i'm being pragmatic
> > here: since Blackfin literrally has never compiled/linked in the mainline
> > releases, theres no way i could break it even more.  delaying these
> > updates to make mainline Blackfin u-boot usable is only that: delay.
>
> Come on, you know damn well it's not acceptable to add tons of new
> features (including, from the look of it, two new commands) this close
> to a release.

i'd agree with you completely if Blackfin were currently usable

> You should focus on getting the thing to work (why was it merged in the
> first place if it didn't work, btw?) not try to achieve feature-parity
> with the out-of-tree code.

ive had no involvement in the past development.  if you want to say it sucked
or complain about how it was done, i dont really care.  only moving forward
from the current situation matters to me.

as for getting it to work, i dont see the value in getting an old dead version
of the Blackfin tree working when i have a clean rewritten tree to merge.  if
i get the old one to boot, so what ?  the resulting code base isnt
supported ... if someone says "i tried to do XYZ with the Blackfin code and
it didnt work", i'm going to look at it and say "it works with this other
code base, so i dont care.  you can wait until i finish merging this tree."

> There are way too many useless commands in the tree as it is, we don't
> want even more unreviewed crap sneaking in through the back door.

if you look at all the new commands you'll see that (1) they're optional and
(2) they expose Blackfin specific functionality.  these affect no other
arches.
-mike