[U-Boot-Users] Problems with new ethernet init on mpc8360

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Tue Feb 26 19:30:01 CET 2008

Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> Kim Phillips wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:55:37 -0500
>> Jerry Van Baren <gvb.uboot at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Kim,
>>>
>>> I have a mpc8360emds eval board.  The ee62ed patch (below) speeds up the
>>> start up (good), but seems to cause the board to hang on the *second*
>>> ethernet operation.
>>>
>>> I can cause this by doing two pings in a row: the first ping initializes
>>> the network and completes successfully.  The second ping hangs the
>>> board: it never completes.  I cannot abort it with ^C.  The only way out
>>> is to reset the board.
>>>
>>> The same thing happens with two back-to-back tftp operations or a ping
>>> followed by a tftp operation.
>>>
>>> If I back out the ee62ed patch (below), it "fixes" the problem.
>>>
>>> I tried backing out some simple portions of the patch (added delays back
>>> in) with no success.  I've given up chasing this for tonight.  Any
>>> inspiration you can generate would be appreciated, I'll chase it some
>>> more tomorrow.
>> I verified rc2 on rev. 1.1 and 2.1 boards pings more than once.
>>
>> can you provide more details about which u-boot version, what board rev
>> you're on, what kind of connection you're using, speed, etc.?
>>
>> Kim
>
> OK, I confirmed it was operator error by doing a clean clone and rebuild
> of u-boot.
>
> Sorry for the noise,
> gvb

My bad, the noise *wasn't* noise.  What worked for me was 1.3.1 (above
results), which initializes the ethernet on start up.  When I cloned the
u-boot repo (or u-boot-testing), the second ping hangs the board for me.

Is the fact that I don't have a valid env a clue (I have never bothered
to save an env)?  Hmmmm, what env variables could be messing me up?  I
would suspect the ethernet rotation one.  I don't have the second
etherspiggot plugged in, but that should simply fail and rotate back to
the first etherspiggot (scratches head).

Thanks,
gvb

U-Boot 1.3.2-rc2 (Feb 26 2008 - 13:21:20) MPC83XX

Reset Status: Software Hard, External/Internal Soft, External/Internal Hard

CPU:   e300c1, MPC8360E, Rev: 12 at 528 MHz, CSB:  264 MHz
Board: Freescale MPC8360EMDS
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  256 MB (DDR1, 64-bit, ECC off)
SDRAM: 64 MB (local bus)
PCI 32bit bus on PMC1 & PMC2 &PMC3
FLASH: 16 MB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

PCI clock is 66MHz
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   FSL UEC0, FSL UEC1
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

=> set serverip 192.168.47.8 ; set ipaddr 192.168.47.214

=> ping 192.168.47.8
UEC: PHY is Marvell 88E11x1 (1410cc2)
FSL UEC0: Full Duplex
switching to rgmii 100