[U-Boot-Users] Problems with new ethernet init on mpc8360

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Tue Feb 26 19:40:47 CET 2008

Jerry Van Baren wrote:
>> Kim Phillips wrote:

>>> I verified rc2 on rev. 1.1 and 2.1 boards pings more than once.
>>>
>>> can you provide more details about which u-boot version, what board rev
>>> you're on, what kind of connection you're using, speed, etc.?
>>>
>>> Kim
>> OK, I confirmed it was operator error by doing a clean clone and rebuild
>> of u-boot.
>>
>> Sorry for the noise,
>> gvb
>
> My bad, the noise *wasn't* noise.  What worked for me was 1.3.1 (above
> results), which initializes the ethernet on start up.  When I cloned the
> u-boot repo (or u-boot-testing), the second ping hangs the board for me.
>
> Is the fact that I don't have a valid env a clue (I have never bothered
> to save an env)?  Hmmmm, what env variables could be messing me up?  I
> would suspect the ethernet rotation one.  I don't have the second
> etherspiggot plugged in, but that should simply fail and rotate back to
> the first etherspiggot (scratches head).
>
> Thanks,
> gvb
>

> U-Boot 1.3.2-rc2 (Feb 26 2008 - 13:21:20) MPC83XX
>
> Reset Status: Software Hard, External/Internal Soft, External/Internal Hard
>
> CPU:   e300c1, MPC8360E, Rev: 12 at 528 MHz, CSB:  264 MHz
> Board: Freescale MPC8360EMDS
> I2C:   ready
> DRAM:  256 MB (DDR1, 64-bit, ECC off)
> SDRAM: 64 MB (local bus)
> PCI 32bit bus on PMC1 & PMC2 &PMC3
> FLASH: 16 MB
> *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment
>
> PCI clock is 66MHz
> In:    serial
> Out:   serial
> Err:   serial
> Net:   FSL UEC0, FSL UEC1
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
>
> => set serverip 192.168.47.8 ; set ipaddr 192.168.47.214
>
> => ping 192.168.47.8
> UEC: PHY is Marvell 88E11x1 (1410cc2)
> FSL UEC0: Full Duplex
> switching to rgmii 100
> FSL UEC0: Speed 100BT
> FSL UEC0: Link is up
> Using FSL UEC0 device
> host 192.168.47.8 is alive
>
> => ping 192.168.47.8

Sorry, I should have included the default environment contents for
reference:

=> printenv
bootcmd=setenv bootargs root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=$serverip:$rootpath
ip=$ipaddrr
ramboot=setenv bootargs root=/dev/ram rw console=$consoledev,$baudrate
$othbootr
nfsboot=setenv bootargs root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=$serverip:$rootpath
ip=$ipaddrr
bootdelay=6
baudrate=115200
loads_echo=1