[U-Boot-Users] mpc83xx boot error

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 13:06:13 CET 2008

>> * You need to use version 17 (simply don't specify -V 0x10).
>> * As Kim mentioned, you need -S padding to allow extra space for the
>>      /chosen node.
>> * Since you burned the blob into flash, bootm has to relocate the blob
>>     to RAM.  This is what is giving you the "fdt move failed" error in
>>     your first example, it is moving the blob to 0x007fe000 - is this
>>     a valid address (seems like it should be)?  Perhaps it is simply
>>     because you didn't pad it?  Perhaps we let a bug slip in?
>>
> Oops, I missed the -R 8 that Kim recommended (very correctly).  This
> makes more reserved map entries which is important as well as the -S
> extra space.

I don't think this fully describes it, I just came across the same error
when porting from 1.3.1 to 1.3.2-rc2:

dtc -I dts -O dtb -S 0x3000 -R 8

with dtc 1.1.0

still gives the following when booting u-boot-1.3.2-rc2:

## Booting image at fe700000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.24
   Created:      2008-02-25  15:38:37 UTC
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    930624 Bytes = 908.8 kB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
   Booting using the fdt at 0xfefe0000
WARNING: could not create /chosen FDT_ERR_NOSPACE.
ERROR: /chosen node create failed - must RESET the board to recover.
Resetting the board.

--
  greetz, marc
You made me drink piss?