[U-Boot-Users] ramdisk booting problem

bott at dei.unipd.it bott at dei.unipd.it
Fri Feb 29 09:56:51 CET 2008

Quoting Markus Klotzbücher <mk at denx.de>:

> Dear Ottavio,
>
> bott at dei.unipd.it writes:
>
>> this is what I suspect, but I don't have any idea how I can check it.
>> I mean, how can I see where the decompressed image is put? I tried
>> giving a look at lib/inflate.c to check how gunzip() works, but I'm
>> not able to figure out where inflated data goes....
>
> Look at the code in common/cmd_bootm.c . IIRC the ramdisk is copied to
> the end of RAM. The boot output should also give some hints. You'll need
> to provide more information such as your bootlog, the commands you're
> using to boot and your memory/flash setup for us to help.

eventually yesterday I've been able to boot with initrd and not
initramfs by leaving the kernel in the flash memory and coping the
initrd in ram. With the exception of switching to initrd, the kernel
is the same, so I really think it was a problem of overwritten memory.

I'll have to find out why booting the kernel from flash works and from
ram not.