[U-Boot-Users] Building U-Boot for X86 Target

Markus Klotzbücher mk at denx.de
Thu Feb 28 13:29:33 CET 2008

Bhaskar <abc.bhaskar at gmail.com> writes:

> Regrets to post the first question as a naive user.
> I downloaded the U-Boot source code.  In order to build it for the x86
> target, I tried following commands.
> make x86_config, make x86_config

Well, unfortunately it's not that easy. You will have to call make with
a board configuration as parameter. Please read the README.

> But the make stops saying that no such rule to make.  In the Makefile
> of the sources I found that i386 target is located but no rules had
> been mentioned to make it.
> Somebody just guide me towards building the U-Boot for building to x86
> architecture.  I am not having special embedded board and so I am
> planning to use x86 as the target.

To do this you will have to port U-Boot to your hardware. Please note
that support for x86 is kind of weak so far. Take a look at "cpu/i386"
and grep for CONFIG_X86. Beware, this is really a nontrivial task -
probably not the easiest way to become acquainted with U-Boot.

Best regards

Markus Klotzbuecher

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de