[U-Boot-Users] Please pull 85xx

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 2 21:09:00 CET 2008

Dear Rafal,

in message <477BD21F.7040205 at semihalf.com> you wrote:

> > If your work depends on patches from another  repo,  please  ask  the
> > custodian  of  this other repo to send a pull request, and ask him to
> > mention in his pull request that this is urgent becasue  ...  depends
> > on it.
>
> I guess I'm still a bit confused about the process. So in case of inter-repo
> dependencies, would you like something like the following?

I'm still trying to figure out myself how we could  come  up  with  a
compromize of having clean and orthogonal custodian's repositories on
one  side and a practical solution that is usable without introducing
unnecessary delays on the other side.

Thanks for your patience with me.

> 1. ask the involved custodian(s) to merge my pieces that I depend on, but that
> belong to different FA, and have them send pull requests to you
>
> 2. you merge those onto the testing branch

No.

Assume you depend on feature X from repo xxx and on feature Y from
repo yyy.

Then you would ask both the custodians of the xxx and  yyy  repos  to
send  pull  requests.  The  pull  request  should contain a note that
others (you) depend on this stuff, thus marking it as urgent. [yes, I
know, sombody is always depending on  some  patch,  so  this  is  not
exactly  a  sharp definition. But we have to try something, only then
we can see if it works or not.]

I would then pull the xxx and yyy repos into testing.

> Should I then rebase against the testing repo, or wait until it makes to the
> main line and only then come up with my pull request? (as there's a general

Yes, you would then base your work on testing. I promise that I will
try to keep delays as small as possible.

> rule for pull requests to be based on the main line..). Please clarfiy.

Above assumes that the features X and Y  are  "ripe",  i.  e.  indeed
ready  for  inclusion  into  main line - but this is necessary in any
case, otherwise you could not use them in the first place because  if
they  were  not  clean  for  mainline I could never pull in your code
which depends on / includes them.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The easiest way to figure the cost of living is to take  your  income
and add ten percent.