[U-Boot-Users] NAND driver updates

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Sat Jan 5 17:15:03 CET 2008

Hi All,

I just updated the master branch of the NAND custodian repository with the
patches from William Juul:

http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot/u-boot-nand-flash.git;a=shortlog;h=master

This patchset brings the U-Boot NAND subsystem in sync again with the Linux
2.6.22.1 NAND code. Thanks go to William Juul and his colleagues for the hard
work. Here again the comments from his first announcement mail on 2007-11-07:

> Update MTD to that of Linux 2.6.22.1
>
> A lot changed in the Linux MTD code, since it was last ported from
> Linux to U-Boot. This patch takes U-Boot NAND support to the level
> of Linux 2.6.22.1 and will enable support for very large NAND devices
> (4KB pages) and ease the compatibility between U-Boot and Linux
> filesystems and drivers.
>
> This patch is tested on two custom boards with PPC and ARM
> processors running YAFFS in U-Boot and Linux using gcc-4.1.2
> cross compilers.
>
> MAKEALL ppc/arm has some issues:
>  * DOC/OneNand/nand_spl is not building (I have not tried porting
>    these parts, and since I do not have any HW and I am not familiar
>    with this code/HW I think its best left to someone else.)
>
> Except for the issues mentioned above, I have ported all drivers
> necessary to run MAKEALL ppc/arm without errors and warnings. Many
> drivers were trivial to port, but some were not so trivial. The
> following drivers must be examined carefully and maybe rewritten to
> some degree:
>  cpu/ppc4xx/ndfc.c
>  cpu/arm926ejs/davinci/nand.c
>  board/delta/nand.c
>  board/zylonite/nand.c

I changed the 4xx NAND driver (ndfc) and the nand_spl driver to match the
changes subsystem. Please change and test your other NAND drivers too. This
should not be so difficult, since now the NAND drivers are in-sync again with
the Linux MTD drivers. So look how it is done there in the current drivers
and you should know what to do.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Stefan