[U-Boot-Users] NAND driver updates

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com
Tue Jan 8 11:05:54 CET 2008

Hi Stefan,

the updated NAND code lacks support for the CFG_NAND_QUIET_TEST
behavior. This is currently used by the 'alpr' board and soon by the
PMC440 (patch will be submitted in just a minute).

Matthias

On Saturday 05 January 2008 17:15, Stefan Roese wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just updated the master branch of the NAND custodian repository with the
> patches from William Juul:
>
> http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot/u-boot-nand-flash.git;a=shortlog;h=master
>
> This patchset brings the U-Boot NAND subsystem in sync again with the Linux
> 2.6.22.1 NAND code. Thanks go to William Juul and his colleagues for the hard
> work. Here again the comments from his first announcement mail on 2007-11-07:
>
> > Update MTD to that of Linux 2.6.22.1
> >
> > A lot changed in the Linux MTD code, since it was last ported from
> > Linux to U-Boot. This patch takes U-Boot NAND support to the level
> > of Linux 2.6.22.1 and will enable support for very large NAND devices
> > (4KB pages) and ease the compatibility between U-Boot and Linux
> > filesystems and drivers.
> >
> > This patch is tested on two custom boards with PPC and ARM
> > processors running YAFFS in U-Boot and Linux using gcc-4.1.2
> > cross compilers.
> >
> > MAKEALL ppc/arm has some issues:
> >  * DOC/OneNand/nand_spl is not building (I have not tried porting
> >    these parts, and since I do not have any HW and I am not familiar
> >    with this code/HW I think its best left to someone else.)
> >
> > Except for the issues mentioned above, I have ported all drivers
> > necessary to run MAKEALL ppc/arm without errors and warnings. Many
> > drivers were trivial to port, but some were not so trivial. The
> > following drivers must be examined carefully and maybe rewritten to
> > some degree:
> >  cpu/ppc4xx/ndfc.c
> >  cpu/arm926ejs/davinci/nand.c
> >  board/delta/nand.c
> >  board/zylonite/nand.c
>
> I changed the 4xx NAND driver (ndfc) and the nand_spl driver to match the
> changes subsystem. Please change and test your other NAND drivers too. This
> should not be so difficult, since now the NAND drivers are in-sync again with
> the Linux MTD drivers. So look how it is done there in the current drivers
> and you should know what to do.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan

> Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de

Dipl.-Ing. Matthias Fuchs
SD4

esd electronic system design gmbh
Vahrenwalder Str. 207 - 30165 Hannover - GERMANY
Telefon: 0511-37298-0 - Fax: 0511-37298-68
Bitte besuchen Sie uns im Internet unter http://www.esd.eu
Quality Products - Made in Germany