[U-Boot-Users] NAND driver updates

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Jan 15 09:49:03 CET 2008

Hi All,

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Stefan Roese wrote:
> I just updated the master branch of the NAND custodian repository with the
> patches from William Juul:
>
> http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot/u-boot-nand-flash.git;a=shor
>tlog;h=master
>
> This patchset brings the U-Boot NAND subsystem in sync again with the Linux
> 2.6.22.1 NAND code. Thanks go to William Juul and his colleagues for the
> hard

As it seems the current status of the new NAND subsystem provided by William
Juul and his colleges, has still some problems. As far as I see it right now
here a list (please let me know if I missed something):

- DOC support broken and removed for now
  - needs to be ported and tested on HW with DOC
- 'nand read.jffs2/.i' not implemented at all
- 'nand write.jffs2/.i' not implemented correctly
  - Doesn't skip bad blocks
  - From my quick first look, it doesn't write the OOB correctly
- Extensive testing on other platforms needed

So with all these flaws, it doesn't make sense from my point of view, to pull
these changes into the official U-Boot repository in this merge window. I
think we should delay this merge for 1 or 2 U-Boot versions, until the
problems mentioned above are resolved.

Any thoughts/comments on this?

If we agree on this merge delay, then I suggest that I move this mtd update
into a different branch (it's currently in the master branch :-() of the
u-boot-nand-flash repository and base the master branch on the master branch
of Wolfgang's official repository. This way updates and fixes to the "old"
NAND subsystem can be handled better.

Again, any comments?

Thanks.

Best regards,