[U-Boot-Users] [ARM] better ARM9 compileroptions

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 22 10:39:32 CET 2008

Dear Peter,

in message <89A528FE6DB0FA44877BB2F05B84671806B36F19 at ZIPPY.Emea.Arm.com> you wrote:
> Ack your patch

I have serious problems in interpreting your terse postings.

For example, is above intended to mean "I ack your patch." or shall it
mean: "Please ack your patch!"

I've asked similar questions before, but you did not reply.

Peter,

I'm afraid we have a serious problem with processing contributions
like patches, bug reports, and other feedback for ARM systems.

For example, I did not receive a pull request for the ARM  repository
for the merge window which just ended, even though we extended it for
a couple of weeks, and even though I explicitely asked you for it.

I'm afraid that the current state  of  ARM  custodianship  is  highly
frustrating  for many people who contributed code and received little
or no feedback, and who don't see their contributions going upstream.

Please don;t misunderstand me - I don't want to  criticize  you,  I'm
just  describing  the  state  of  thigs as it represents itself to an
external viewer. And believe me, I've been in exactly this  situation
myself for a long, long time.

I would appreciate if you could at least comment  on  how  we  should
continue  with the ARM custodianship: is it likely that the situation
will improve soon, or is it for some reason more likely that you  wil
not be able to become a more active ARM custodian?

Do you think  that  splitting  responsibility  would  help  you?  For
example,  Harald  suggested  to  take  responsibility for the s3c24xx
related parts of the code - would  this  help  you?  Assume  we  find
volunteers  for  other  SoC's  - would this enable you to become more
active with the remaining parts of ARM maintainance?

Frankly, if you don't have enough time or interest to  actually  work
as  a  custodian, we should probably accept this fact and try to find
somebody else who could take over this work?

Feedback welcome...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The day-to-day travails of the IBM programmer are so amusing to  most
of us who are fortunate enough never to have been one - like watching
Charlie Chaplin trying to cook a shoe.