[U-Boot-Users] [patch] add support for "eeprom info"

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Jan 24 10:13:03 CET 2008

On Wednesday 23 January 2008, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <200801231729.18316.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:
> > with eeprom_info behind CONFIG_SPI.  most SPI flashes nowadays support
> > the jedec id command which allows for dynamic detection (which is how the
> > Blackfin SPI driver that i wrote works).  hook up any SPI flash and it
> > "just works".
>
> I think you are doing something wrong when you try to use "eeprom" to
> access "SPI flash" - these are differnt entities...

let's make sure we're talking about the same thing.  SPI flashes are eeproms
that have a SPI interface.  so Spansion's S25FLxxxx, ST's m25pxtmels
AT45DBxxxx, Winbond's W25Xxx/W25Pxx, and such.  they need to be erased before
writing, are split up into some unit size, etc...  all SPI flashes nowadays
conform to the JEDEC standard (JEP106) which allows for querying of
manufacturer/device ids so that they can be dynamically detected.  sounds to
me like "eeprom" is the correct interface for utilizing these devices.
-mike