[U-Boot-Users] [patch] add support for "eeprom info"

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Fri Jan 25 14:31:19 CET 2008

On Thursday 24 January 2008, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> If the device is SPI flash, then why not call it like that, i. e.
>
> 	spi flash info

i dont like this because of the integration it'd require with the generic spi
command

> Or
> 	spiflash info
>
> to make it similar to the "nand" commands?

this sounds easy enough that i could probably do this ...

> On the other hand, it might be still too shortsighted to tie this  to
> the  bus  interface.  For example, what about dataflash? As discussed
> many times before, we have similar issues with dataflash devices.

i'm not sure i follow.  what do you mean by dataflash ?  the atmel
dataflashes ?  the AT45DBxxx parts ?

> I don't have a good idea how to do it, but maybe this is a chance to
> get a good solution for NAND, dataflash, SPI flash and who knows what
> else?

i can see the motivation for this, but i'm not sure if it's worth the
overhead ... SPI flash is more like parallel NOR flash than NAND.  there are
no bad blocks, ecc, etc... with SPI flashes.
-mike