[U-Boot-Users] [patch] add support for "eeprom info"

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 24 12:13:06 CET 2008

In message <200801240017.46171.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> > drivers added for generic SPI support.  My preference would be for you
> > to expand the 'spi' command with something like:
> >
> > 'spi eeprom info'
>
> i dont see how in the long run, this is any different from today.  Wolfgang
> can still argue that the SPI flash is not an eeprom device, so "spi
> eeprom ..." is not appropriate.  which means there is still no subsystem
> whatsoever for accessing SPI flashes.

You are right - I think "spi eeprom" is not a good choice - if it is
an EEPROM, then the "eeprom" command should work, no matter what the
actual bus interface is.

If the device is SPI flash, then why not call it like that, i. e.

	spi flash info

Or
	spiflash info

to make it similar to the "nand" commands?

On the other hand, it might be still too shortsighted to tie this  to
the  bus  interface.  For example, what about dataflash? As discussed
many times before, we have similar issues with dataflash devices.

I don't have a good idea how to do it, but maybe this is a chance to
get a good solution for NAND, dataflash, SPI flash and who knows what
else?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"To IBM, 'open' means there is a modicum  of  interoperability  among
some of their equipment."                            - Harv Masterson