[U-Boot-Users] [patch] add support for "eeprom info"

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jan 25 16:09:51 CET 2008

In message <200801250833.05605.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> at the moment, the Blackfin SPI flash driver hides all of the erasing/writing
> stuff for the user so that it integrates easily into the eeprom command.  i'm
> going to guess that you dont like the sound of that at all ;).

You know me pretty well.

Well, there is a big difference between NOR flash  and  your  device:
NOR  flash is memory, but your's is a storage device attached to some
bus interface (SPI here). The problem is that we don't  have  a  good
solution to interface with such devices yet.

Using the eeprom command for such devices is misleading, IMO. If  you
can  live  with the spiflash command, then this is not perfect, but I
guess it will have to do for now as we don't have a  better  solution
yet.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I have never understood the female capacity to avoid a direct  answer
to any question.
	-- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3