[U-Boot-Users] [patch] add support for "eeprom info"

J. William Campbell jwilliamcampbell at comcast.net
Fri Jan 25 17:54:40 CET 2008

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Friday 25 January 2008, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>
>> Well, there is a big difference between NOR flash  and  your  device:
>> NOR  flash is memory, but your's is a storage device attached to some
>> bus interface (SPI here). The problem is that we don't  have  a  good
>> solution to interface with such devices yet.
>>
>> Using the eeprom command for such devices is misleading, IMO. If  you
>> can  live  with the spiflash command, then this is not perfect, but I
>> guess it will have to do for now as we don't have a  better  solution
>> yet.
>>

> so we're clear, the proposed interface is:
> spiflash info
> spiflash <read|write> address offset count
> spiflash erase offset count

This sounds fine to me. The address is obviously a ram
source/destination address. I vote for an offset in bytes and a count in
bytes. If the offset is not an appropriate sector boundary, it is an
error. The count can be a partial sector without problems. Having the
offset and count in different units is confusing IMHO, so bytes for
both. Also, Mike, I assume you will also add a module similar to
env_eeprom.c to support environment in spiflash?

Best Regards,
Bill Campbell