[U-Boot-Users] [rfc] new spiflash subsystem

Haavard Skinnemoen hskinnemoen at atmel.com
Tue Jan 29 00:26:54 CET 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:00:34 -0500
Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> wrote:

> uint8_t spiflash_exchange_byte(uint8_t transmit)

Uh. Did you just propose SPI framework #6 for u-boot?

How about we try to modify one of the existing ones so that it can be
useful for everything? That is, spi flash, spi eeproms, LCD panels,
sensors, etc.?

In fact, I did post a patch that attempted this not so long ago, but I
never got any response:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/33822/focus=33821

I'd really like to see a common layer for SPI flash though, so I don't
mean to criticise your effort. But it would be nice if not every new
SPI client came with its own low-level SPI functions...

Haavard