[U-Boot-Users] [rfc] new spiflash subsystem

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Jan 29 01:29:38 CET 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008, Haavard Skinnemoen wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:00:34 -0500
> Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> wrote:
> > uint8_t spiflash_exchange_byte(uint8_t transmit)
>
> Uh. Did you just propose SPI framework #6 for u-boot?
>
> How about we try to modify one of the existing ones so that it can be
> useful for everything? That is, spi flash, spi eeproms, LCD panels,
> sensors, etc.?
>
> In fact, I did post a patch that attempted this not so long ago, but I
> never got any response:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/33822/focus=33821
>
> I'd really like to see a common layer for SPI flash though, so I don't
> mean to criticise your effort. But it would be nice if not every new
> SPI client came with its own low-level SPI functions...

i know exactly where you're coming from, so dont sweat it.  my purpose was to
get things integrated and then take a look at the existing pieces and unify
them.  easier i think to have known working code to throw at a common
framework than code for hypothetical uses we cant actually break our teeth
on.
-mike