[U-Boot-Users] framebuffer drivers without modesetting support?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Jul 7 09:30:37 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 08:47:29PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <20080706164321.GD20299 at prithivi.gnumonks.org> you wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if u-boot would also accept the merge of a framebuffer
> > driver that doesn't allow runtime mode-setting.
>
> What makes you think that would be a problem?

That there is no infrastructure (at leaste I've not seen one) for a
driver to cleanly indicate that it doesn't support modesetting.   So
what do we do? Just silently ignore calls to change the video mode?

> And in U-Boot there are some frame buffer drivers that are completely
> fixed for a specific configuration, too.

good.

> What exactly was your problem?

I didn't want to submit a driver that doesn't implement the
standard/full interface of a framebuffer driver inside u-boot without
asking whether that was actually ok.

                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)