[U-Boot-Users] framebuffer drivers without modesetting support?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 7 11:30:37 CEST 2008

In message <20080707073037.GB4412 at prithivi.gnumonks.org> you wrote:

> That there is no infrastructure (at leaste I've not seen one) for a
> driver to cleanly indicate that it doesn't support modesetting.   So
> what do we do? Just silently ignore calls to change the video mode?

There is no such requirement (yet) in U-Boot to implement a
full-featured framebufer driver with all the bells and whistles that
are needed in Linux.

> I didn't want to submit a driver that doesn't implement the
> standard/full interface of a framebuffer driver inside u-boot without
> asking whether that was actually ok.

I see. Well, in U-Boot we just have "LCD drivers", and these  may  or
may not implement fancy stuff; usually they don't :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
An age is called Dark not because  the  light  fails  to  shine,  but
because people refuse to see it.           -- James Michener, "Space"