[U-Boot-Users] Changing u-boot relocation scheme

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jul 26 07:36:35 CEST 2008

In message <f608b67d0807250751j137e70c0oe67affcf46399c8e at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I think this discussion covers much more ground than needed: certainly
> the problem of running the same executable at different addresses has
> been solved many times over, for different architectures and file
> formats. The thing is that unless we want the loader be part of u-boot
> we can not use those standard solutions. And I don't think we want,
> because it would be an unnecessary complication.

We do not need a "loader". All we need is "just" relocation working
completely and correctly. At the moment, it is now working completely.

> I still believe that my original suggestion of determining the
> addresses of pointers to relocate by comparing to stripped binaries is
> the simplest way to do it across architectures. Apparently the same

Maybe I should have been more explicit right from the beginning. I
repeat: forget it. This will *not* go into mainline. Zero chance.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How many seconds are there in a year? If I tell you there are 3.155 x
10^7, you won't even try to remember it. On the other hand, who could
forget that, to within half a percent, pi seconds is  a  nanocentury.
                                               -- Tom Duff, Bell Labs