[U-Boot-Users] Changing u-boot relocation scheme

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jul 26 14:49:34 CEST 2008

In message <fa686aa40807252306p14e0fe43ta7fba15b4b43b492 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> You are completely right.  For the purposes of this discussion, this
> is a powerpc-centric problem.  The relocation code is written in
> assembly and is processor specific.  Let the ARM folks make sure ARM
> relocation works (and I think it already does).  Let the MIPS folks do
> the same.  Each arch has it's own set of CFLAGS and LDFLAGS needed to
> produce a sane binary.  They should be picked off and fixed one arch
> at a time.

Neither ARM nor MIPS do relocation. They link for a fixed address in
RAM (which for example means that they cannot deal in a sane way with
systems where the RAM size might change, not to mention issues with
things like support for pRAM, pre-initialized framebuffers or shared
log buffer which only work reasonably when you have relocation.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
This is now.  Later is later.