[U-Boot-Users] Changing u-boot relocation scheme

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jul 26 07:36:35 CEST 2008

In message <1217006928.7972.47.camel at duo> you wrote:

> I know exactly what Grant did. But he is not using the elf relocation
> information as that is simply not included in the data that is the
> u-boot.bin file.

So what? Is this a problem? Why would we need to use XXX if we can
perform all we need to do by using YYY instead, especially if this is
simpler to implement?

> Also this discussion is more about doing it in a way that is not powerpc
> specific and documented, we already have as you mentioned code for the
> powerpc specific way but it's not using elf relocation information.

Who says that we MUST use the ELF reloc info?

Or why?

> I was afraid that what was needed was more or less a complete linker but
> it looks like if one generate the dynamic reloc table a much simpler
> linker(relocation function) is needed. Still probably a lot more complex
> than the GOT and fixup code that is just a loop over a table. We may
> need a case also ;-)

Please re-read Grant's patch. There were NO changes to the existing
simple code!

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Murder is contrary to the laws of man and God.
	-- M-5 Computer, "The Ultimate Computer", stardate 4731.3