[U-Boot-Users] Changing u-boot relocation scheme

kenneth johansson kenneth at southpole.se
Sat Jul 26 09:41:39 CEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 07:36 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <1217006928.7972.47.camel at duo> you wrote:
> >
> > I know exactly what Grant did. But he is not using the elf relocation
> > information as that is simply not included in the data that is the
> > u-boot.bin file.
>
> So what? Is this a problem? Why would we need to use XXX if we can
> perform all we need to do by using YYY instead, especially if this is
> simpler to implement?

The only reason would be to make all arch as similar as possible. The
discussion would be totally retarded if we only though about powerpc
since the problem is already solved and implemented.

> > Also this discussion is more about doing it in a way that is not powerpc
> > specific and documented, we already have as you mentioned code for the
> > powerpc specific way but it's not using elf relocation information.
>
> Who says that we MUST use the ELF reloc info?

The post I was replaying to indicated that the existing code already did
this so I simply corrected that statement.

> Or why?

If it turns out that is is not that complicated all architectures could
do it in the same way.