[U-Boot-Users] Silent console enhancement patch

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jun 13 08:41:16 CEST 2008

In message <48515F51.5030504 at harris.com> you wrote:

> The silent console as currently implemented is not silent if a board has been
> newly manufactured.  I.e., some messages are printed prior to being able to set
> the "silent" environment variable the first time.
>
> The following patch adds a new configuration option,
> CONFIG_VERY_SILENT_CONSOLE, which modifies the behavior slightly.  If this
> option is selected, then the absence of the "silent" variable will result in
> a default behavior of "silent".  Also, if "silent" is set to "1", then the
> behavior will be "silent".  Only if a different value, say "0", is selected
> will the behavior be "verbose".
>
> This patch doesn't change the behavior for any existing BSP's because they will
> not have selected the CONFIG_VERY_SILENT_CONSOLE option.

I consider this seriously confusing.

Also I don't see what your problem is, assuming you provide a valid
environment with your newly manufactured systems.

I thend to reject this patch.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If it went on at this rate, in several billion  years  he'd  be  rich
beyond his wildest dreams!            - Terry Pratchett, _Soul Music_