[U-Boot-Users] Silent console enhancement patch

Steven A. Falco sfalco at harris.com
Fri Jun 13 15:34:20 CEST 2008

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <48515F51.5030504 at harris.com> you wrote:
>
>> The silent console as currently implemented is not silent if a board has been
>> newly manufactured.  I.e., some messages are printed prior to being able to set
>> the "silent" environment variable the first time.
>>
>> The following patch adds a new configuration option,
>> CONFIG_VERY_SILENT_CONSOLE, which modifies the behavior slightly.  If this
>> option is selected, then the absence of the "silent" variable will result in
>> a default behavior of "silent".  Also, if "silent" is set to "1", then the
>> behavior will be "silent".  Only if a different value, say "0", is selected
>> will the behavior be "verbose".
>>
>> This patch doesn't change the behavior for any existing BSP's because they will
>> not have selected the CONFIG_VERY_SILENT_CONSOLE option.
>>

> I consider this seriously confusing.
>
> Also I don't see what your problem is, assuming you provide a valid
> environment with your newly manufactured systems.
>
> I thend to reject this patch.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

When we manufacture a new board, we will load the flash via jtag. All I
had planned to put in at that stage was the u-boot image itself.  I did
not plan to put in an initial environment, because the environment can
easily be constructed by u-boot.  The problem is that by the time the
initial environment is constructed, some messages that I want to
suppress will already have been printed, because "silent" is not defined
yet.  The purpose of the patch is to suppress messages in this case.

I currently construct the environment in my BSP.c file, like so:

    if(setenv("flash_self",     "run flash_dhcp"))      return 1;
    if(setHex("kernel0_addr",   CFG_KERNEL0_ADDR))      return 1;

I do this rather than using CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS because some of
the values have to be computed.  So, I guess I could write a host tool
to construct the environment by linking with my BSP.c file, and then
merge the constructed environment with the u-boot executable, so that
jtag could put everything in at once.  But that is much more complicated.

How do other people construct the initial environment, so that it can be
loaded via jtag along with the u-boot executable?

    Steve