[U-Boot-Users] at91sam9260-ek intermittenly fails at u-boot init

Norman Cheung normankeehoon at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 17:17:01 CEST 2008

Many thanks Stelian for the replies.  My comments inline.

Norman

Stelian Pop wrote:
> Le mercredi 25 juin 2008 à 01:36 +0000, Norman Cheung a écrit :
>
>> I am struggling with this problem for a week now and not making any progress.
>> So any suggestions, ideas or pointer will be greatly appreciated.
>>
> [...]
Since the post earlier, I have narrowed the problem to the bootstrap
during the copy from NAND to SDRAM, memories are corrupted.  I think I
have a marginal NAND chip.  I played around the  SMC  cycle timing  in
bootstrap,  I have a setting that I can boot u-boot with power cycle 6
out of 10 times.  So I am convinced that it is not an u-boot issue, Thanks!
>> The board works with u-boot 1.3.2 and at91bootstrap(1.5 I only have the binary)
>> booting from NAND.
>>

> The source (for the latest version) is freely available on the Atmel
> site: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=4093
>
> If you really need the source for an older version, I'm sure the Atmel
> support will send it to you upon request.
>

>> U-boot fails intermittently at the start.  When it fails, it didn't make it to
>> my first printf statement.  When I use JTAG to debug it, it always works.
>>
>> If the board has been let without power for 1+ hour, it will also boot up when
>> I apply power to it(something to do with the battery perhaps).
>>

> Did you try disconnecting the battery ? Or replacing the battery with a
> new one ?
>
> [...]
I tried disconnecting the battery and with the new SMC timing changes, I
can boot up only one time after disconnecting the battery.  I will go
and get a new battery.