[U-Boot-Users] Problems with root JFFS2 on NAND Flash

Grant Erickson gerickson at nuovations.com
Thu Jun 26 19:55:03 CEST 2008

On 6/26/08 10:27 AM, Stuart Wood wrote:
> Tried what you said including patching mkfs.jffs2 and I'm now getting
> these errors
>
> [ errors omitted ]
>
> This seems to imply that the kernel is looking for the clean markers.
> If they are not needed
> with NAND flash then why would it look for them? I did not see
> anything in the kernel configs
> for JFFS2 that would tell it to use use them.
>
> As I said before this is kernel 2.6.18, an older version of build root
> using mtd_20050122
>
> Any other thoughts?

Stuart:

Without knowing more about the specific origin and configuration of your
kernel, version and configuration of u-boot and model, revision and geometry
of NAND, it is difficult to speculate.

I am using:

    AMCC PowerPC 405EXr
    Samsung K9F1208U0B NAND
    U-boot 1.3.3
    Linux 2.6.25-rc3-DENX

Are you certain that u-boot and linux are in agreement about the NAND layout
and format? I had some initial problems in that area until I applied a patch
to u-boot (prior to 1.3.3) that addressed the issue and brought the two into
agreement.

Regards,

Grant