[U-Boot-Users] Problems with root JFFS2 on NAND Flash

Kenneth Johansson kenneth at southpole.se
Thu Jun 26 20:51:38 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 14:16 -0400, Stuart Wood wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Grant Erickson
> > Are you certain that u-boot and linux are in agreement about the NAND layout
> > and format? I had some initial problems in that area until I applied a patch
> > to u-boot (prior to 1.3.3) that addressed the issue and brought the two into
> > agreement.
>
> Can you expand on this? I've set the partition tables to be the same
> between the two,
> but I'm not sure what else needs to synchronized. MTD version?

jffs2 stores the cleanmarker in the oob area. u-boot and linux needs to
be configured so it is stored in the same place in the oob area.

do an erase with cleanmarker from u-boot and read out what is stored in
oob then do the same under linux and you will probably have the
cleanmarker att different places.

if you do not see the cleanmarker you have it in the same place as ecc
and that is also wrong.

fixing it is specific to the nand chip and nand controller that is used.