[U-Boot-Users] CPU (405ep) clock upgrade..

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Mon Jun 30 08:03:40 CEST 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008, Yi-Neng Lin (林義能) wrote:
> We've got a board powered by 405ep running at 266MHz. Now we want to
> upgrade the clock rate to 333MHz (model: 3LB333C), can anyone give us
> some pointers doing this? I've tried to search the mailing list but
> found nothing quite related. Also there seems to exist very limited
> ports, if not none, of this model to which I may reference.

There are quite a big number of 405EP board ports. I suspect that some of them
are capable of running with 333MHz. The frequencies are usually configured
via the I2C bootstrap EEPROM.

> Below are questions that are more specific:
> 1. For CPU clock rate configuration, exactly what parameters should I
> modify? The suspected ones are FWDV (Feedback Divide) and FBDVB (Forward
> Divide B) which according to the processor user manual determines the
> PLLOUT A.

Sure. You need to configure the PLL parameters accordingly. The 405EP users
manual should give you all the infos you need.

> 2. SDRAM clocking. I guess the clocking should be adapted to something
> like 111MHz (given the 333MHz CPU clock); however, the manual shows
> there there seems to be only two options, namely 100MHz and 133MHz.

Which SDRAM init code are you using? I suggest that you take a look at
cpu/ppc4xx/sdram.c and use this file on your system too. You "only" need to
configure some SDRAM chip parameters (for example include/configs/zeus.h):

/*
 * SDRAM configuration (please see cpu/ppc/sdram.[ch])
 */
#define CONFIG_SDRAM_BANK0      1       /* init onboard SDRAM bank 0 */
#define CONFIG_SDRAM_BANK1      1       /* init onboard SDRAM bank 1 */

/* SDRAM timings used in datasheet */
#define CFG_SDRAM_CL            3       /* CAS latency */
#define CFG_SDRAM_tRP           20      /* PRECHARGE command period */
#define CFG_SDRAM_tRC           66      /* ACTIVE-to-ACTIVE command period */
#define CFG_SDRAM_tRCD          20      /* ACTIVE-to-READ delay */
#define CFG_SDRAM_tRFC          66      /* Auto refresh period */

> 3. Clocking of others such as PCI (on-chip PLB clock, sync/async PCI
> clock) and serial port. Are they supposed to be modified accordingly?
> 4. Any other parameters?

You need to make sure that all frequencies are in range.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de