[U-Boot-Users] 1.3.2-rc2 83xx CONFIG_HAS_ETHX not passing MAC addresses

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 00:11:36 CET 2008

Marc Leeman wrote:
>> I presume the problem is that the /aliases node doesn't exist in your
>> tree (original kernel .dts source, and thus the .dtb blob).  One simple
>> solution would be to create the /aliases node if it doesn't exist, just
>> like we create the /chosen node if it doesn't exist.
>
> Yep, that's how I got to boot my kernel again, forgot to post this in my
> previous mail:
>
> aliases {
> 	ethernet0 = &enet0;
> 	ethernet1 = &enet1;
> 	serial0 = &serial0;
> 	serial1 = &serial1;
> 	pci0 = &pci0;
> };
>
> And then adding the correct aliases of course:
>   enet0: ethernet at 24000 {
> etc.

Ahh, right.  My thought of auto-creating the /aliases node is a very bad
idea.  We could guess that ethernet0 is suppose to be mapped to &enet0,
but it would be a guess and there is a non-trivial probability of
guessing wrong.  The whole *reason* for having an /aliases node is to
avoid guessing (and being wrong sometimes).  The /aliases node really is
describing how the board is to be used, so it really needs to be defined
in the .dts source.

Best regards,
gvb