[U-Boot-Users] Altera Stratix II

eran liberty eran.liberty at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 10:21:35 CET 2008

This is starting to be me talking about my implementation, and though
I love being in the spotlight, I think its best for the rest of u-boot
mailing list that I will answer more question off line.

After I have solved it one way or the other I will simply present my
solution and will let you decide if you wish to adopt it or not.

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 11:51 PM, David Hawkins <dwh at ovro.caltech.edu> wrote:
>  1. Does it really matter if the user can read the data?

Yes! this is our last line of defence, Super idiot proof, reserved
only for our technician coming to the site to save the day. If the
user can write to it, its no longer Super idiot proof

>  2. Is there any way to have your FPGA do this hiding for you?

This is a valid solution, but for this FPGA needs bus logic, timing,
address parsing, etc. Till today we preferred a simple bus shortcut.

>  3. Even if you lift the pins on the Flash, what is to stop
>     the user doing a full chip erase, and deleting your
>     unseen settings?

FPGA logic is encrypted! if user can read / create or write the FPGA.
Then flash is the least of my problems. (while IP will certainly be
higher and my job position even more :) )

Liberty.