[U-Boot-Users] [RFC] Host tool to perform semiautomatic updates

llandre r&d2 at dave-tech.it
Fri Mar 14 17:18:30 CET 2008

> How about expect?  This should get you started:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expect
>
> If you want to use Windows I'd go with expect through cygwin rather than
> the native Windows port of expect.
>
> You can of course do all of this in something more modern like Python,
> but that might be a steeper learning curve.
I thought about expect/cygwin but in my opinion is too hard to use for
the average Windows operator who expects just to:
- install the application by running an .exe or unzipping a .zip
- launching the application
- press a couple of buttons on GUI and see the result.

I think Python could be a very good solution. Since I never worked with
it, I ask just few questions:
1) for Windows platform, is possible to generate one single .exe file
taht includes all the required stuff (such as libraries and runtime
components)? If not, it is possible to group all of them in one single
.zip file?
2) What about serial ports support? Is this really platform independent?
3) What about graphical interface? Is it possible to use the same
library (and consequently have similar look&feel) on Windows and Linux?

Cheers,
llandre

DAVE Electronics System House - R&D Department
web:   http://www.dave.eu
email: r&d2 at dave-tech.it