[U-Boot-Users] [RFC] Host tool to perform semiautomatic updates

Nicolas Colombain nicolas.colombain at armadeus.com
Fri Mar 14 18:58:13 CET 2008

>> I thought about expect/cygwin but in my opinion is too hard to use for
>> the average Windows operator who expects just to:
>> - install the application by running an .exe or unzipping a .zip
>> - launching the application
>> - press a couple of buttons on GUI and see the result.
>>
>> I think Python could be a very good solution. Since I never worked with
>> it, I ask just few questions:
>> 1) for Windows platform, is possible to generate one single .exe file
>> taht includes all the required stuff (such as libraries and runtime
>> components)? If not, it is possible to group all of them in one single
>> .zip file?
>> 2) What about serial ports support? Is this really platform independent?
>> 3) What about graphical interface? Is it possible to use the same
>> library (and consequently have similar look&feel) on Windows and Linux?

The serial port support is platform independent if you use the right
library.
We use python to communicate with the target from a windows/linux host
without any problems.
You can design a simple graphical interface which will look exactly the
same on both operating systems.
I think the uboot list is not the right place to continue with this
discussion.

Cheers,
Nicolas
Armadeus Systems