[U-Boot-Users] question about netconsole

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 18 09:34:21 CET 2008

Dear Ottavio,

in message <20080318091131.7qkgvxmqgc8o8sok at mail.dei.unipd.it> you wrote:
> I'd like to use netconsole to have the possibility of upgrading the
> firmware store on a flash, which has u-boot as bootloader which loads
> and runs linux.
>
> I plan to use tftp to transfer the new firmware images to the board,
> so what I'd like to know if there is any problem using netconsole and
> tftpd together or if it runs the same way as by using a serial port to
> communicate to the board.

This should work independently from each other.

> Moreover, is it possible to set a password to access u-boot prompt? I
> would like to give the possibility of flashing the device to everybody.

U-Boot has no conectp of passwords or password management etc.

Please read doc/README.autoboot for  autoboot  configuration  options
which  include support for a (very promitive!) password-like feature,
but please also note that this is working with a  real  console  port
only, i. e. not with netconsole.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I dislike companies that have a we-are-the-high-priests-of-hardware-
so-you'll-like-what-we-give-you attitude. I like commodity markets in
which iron-and-silicon hawkers know that they exist to  provide  fast
toys for software types like me to play with..."    - Eric S. Raymond