[U-Boot-Users] ARM custodian change

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Wed Mar 19 00:33:18 CET 2008

> On Tuesday 18 March 2008, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>> > Here a short announcement about a change in the U-Boot ARM custodianship:
>> >
>> > Since the ARM platform is so broad and has multiple vendor
>> > specific "sub-architectures" it seemed necessary to add new U-Boot
>> > custodian branches for those architectures. Fortunately we had some
>> > volunteers. Here the list:
>> >
>> > u-boot-at91 (Atmel ARM)         Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
>> > u-boot-pxa (XScale)             Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
>> > u-boot-s3c24xx (Samsung ARM)    Harald Welte
>> >
>> > Again, thanks a lot to the (new) custodians. Your help is really
>> > appreciated.
>>
>> Would it not be better if the Atmel ARM was handled by the Atmel AT91
>> Product line
>
> Could be, I really don't know. I don't remember seeing Atmel ARM patches
> posted or reviewed by other Atmel than yourself.

They were sent in 3-4 years ago.
Since there were no response, they lost interest, and have not tried since then.
They are maintaining a separate U-Boot source package.

> So for the time being, we gladly accept that Jean-Christophe volunteered to
> take over this custodianship. From my point of view, he is doing a very good
> job with his other U-Boot activities. So I expect that the AT91 support could
> be handled better from now on.

Have no criticism against Jean-Christophe, but I think that support for
new chips may be available earlier with the AT91 team.

> But again, we are open for other suggestions here too. If you think someone at
> Atmel is better suited to do this job, then please let us know.

I will not have the time to maintain, that is for sure.

I think that the issue needs to be raised with the AT91 team, but it might be that
the AT91 team decides that they rather work closely with Jean-Christophe.

Andrew Victor is doing a good job maintaining the AT91 Linux port
so there is a precedent for this already.

> BTW: If somebody else feels suited to take over some open custodianships (PCI,
> RTC, HWMON come to my mind right now), please let us know too. :)

> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan

Best Regards